Does your child:
- get distracted easily?
- struggle in school, particularly with reading comprehension and math, despite motivation and hard work?
- have trouble completing tasks or following instructions?
Poor working memory could be part of the problem, and Cogmed Working Memory Training could be part of the solution!
What is Working Memory
Working memory is the ability to keep information in your mind for a short time, focus on a task, and remember what to do next. It is a critical function for complex tasks such as decoding, reasoning, comprehension and learning. If your brain were a computer, your long-term memory would be your hard drive, and your working memory would be your RAM.
Why is Working Memory important?
- It is crucial for success in daily life for tasks such as following multi-step instructions and staying focused.
- It is one of the best predictors of academic achievement.
- 80% of children who scored in the lowest 10% for working memory also experienced substantial problems in math, reading, or both.
- Working memory is commonly impaired in people with ADHD, dyslexia, and other learning disabilities, as well as in about fifteen percent of typical learners.
Can Working Memory be Improved?
The exciting answer is YES! In the past, scientists believed that brain pathways were fixed. However, extensive research over the last twenty years has debunked this myth; we now know that the brain continues to change and adjust over time. This ability to change is called brain plasticity, or neuroplasticity.
Re-patterning the brain requires multisensory, systematic instruction repeated over time. At Syllables Learning Center, our tutors consistently use techniques designed to improve working memory and retrain the brain. For some students, we also recommend Cogmed Working Memory Training.
What is Cogmed?
Cogmed is a scientifically designed computer program that exercises and enhances working memory over time. Cogmed training consists of a specific set of working memory tasks that are performed on a computer, with the difficulty level adjusted to each student according to a highly sensitive and specific algorithm. Cogmed students complete eight brain training exercises five days per week for five weeks. Sessions take approximately one hour. It is a rigorous program with proven results.
Syllables Learning Center tutors are certified Cogmed coaches. We work closely with our students by monitoring and providing feedback throughout the entire brain training process. During training, the user’s performance is tracked online and can be viewed by the user and his/her Cogmed coach.
Syllables Learning Center provides one-on-one tutoring in Atlanta, Alpharetta, and Marietta, Georgia and worldwide via teletherapy. Contact Us today for a free Cogmed consultation.